SolaRay Infrared HeatersSimple, Ductless Installation
Contrary to conventional heating systems that require plumbing, duct work, complicated wiring, and difficult and expensive installation, SolaRay infrared heater installation only requires a simple electrical connection, just like a ceiling light fixture. SolaRay panels are light, thin, energy efficient and the panels come in either 120V or 240V models. They can be mounted on the ceiling, which we recommend to gain the best efficiency, or on the wall if so desired. The installation is done by mounting the panel to the ceiling (or wall) with toggle bolts, connecting to 120V or 240V power source and then to a wall-mounted thermostat.
Installation Along Joists (Parallel)
As simple as SolaRay panels are to install, there are still plenty of issues to consider when mounting them! We’ve compiled a few installation guidelines, tricks and tips from installers of our units here to help you figure out the best way to mount them.
- General Steps: One of our dealers, Heating Green, has a fantastic step by step guide showing all the steps you need to take!
- Here is the SolaRay Installation Manual as well as the SolaRay Technical Brochure
Installation Across Joists (Perpendicular)
Secure Mounting Recommendations
All SolaRay panels ship with heavy duty toggle bolts – each one is rated to hold 70 pounds! Even so, mounting in drywall has it’s problems and as such we recommend the following installation patterns for our 4′ and 6′ units, especially if you live in an earthquake prone area, for maximum safety.
Basic Surface Mounting
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Measuring Tape
- Drywall Saw
- Drill with 3/8″ bit
If you’re also doing the electrical connections, you’ll need:
- Wire Cutters/Strippers
- Utility Knife
- Needle Nose Pliers
You May Also Need:
A Friend, Pizza, & Beer
- Bring a friend to help! Panel installation, particularly for the larger panels, is tricky solo. Using 2 ladders will make the job easier!
- Position panels as you would a lighting fixture. Infrared will cover the room like a light, so space the units accordingly.
- Install a good, programmable thermostat. One of the best ways to get the most out of your investment!